Library Services for Homeschoolers
The Educational Resource Center (ERC) at Middle Country Public Library offers support and enrichment for Middle Country residents, homeschooling families and educators by providing access to the Educational Resource collection featuring science equipment and kits, math manipulatives, curricula and educational games, online resources including subscription databases and ERC specific programming. The ERC collection and programming is funded with support from the Long Island Community Foundation. Education Resource Center cards are available to out-of-district homeschooling families. For more information, please contact Deborah Hempe at (631) 585-9393 ext. 223 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming ERC Programs
These programs are open for registration to all Middle Country Public Library and Education Resource Center card holders. ERC programs are sponsored by the Long Island Community Foundation.
- Shoe Box Cities – An Adventure in STEAM Crafting! (J159)
- For children ages 8 – 11 years old. Let’s talk and think about what goes into planning a city or town, then create one to take home.
- What Color Are You? (J115)
- For children ages 5 – 8 years old. Children will join author Paul Rodriguez for a story and craft celebrating diversity and global unity.
- Family Game Time (J038)
- For families with children ages 5 – 17 years old. Enjoy quality family time playing games together at the library. In addition to some classic board games, we’ll have giant versions of Monopoly and Jenga available to play.
- Middle Country Public Library offers a wide variety of online databases providing learning experiences for all ages on a wide variety of topics which can be accessed with your Middle Country Public Library card or ERC card.
- • MCPL cardholders click here for all a list of all Kids Databases and Online Resources for teens.
- • ERC cardholders click here for a list of all ERC Databases.
- Did you know the United States has more than 250,000 rivers! Access interesting facts, information and even recipes from 182 countries around the world! There are three editions: World, Kids, & States.
- National Geographic Kids
- Reputable, authoritative, and age-appropriate content that brings kids the world in a way they’ve never seen it before. Fun and substantive, National Geographic Kids will take them on amazing adventures in science, nature, culture, archaeology, and space.
- Science Reference Center
- A comprehensive research database that provides easy access to a multitude of full text science-oriented content. This database contains full text for nearly 640 science encyclopedias, reference books, periodicals, etc. Topics covered include: biology, chemistry, earth & space science, environmental science, health & medicine, history of science, life science, physics, science & society, science as inquiry, scientists, technology and wildlife.