Library Services for Homeschoolers
The Education Resource Center (ERC) at Middle Country Public Library offers support and enrichment for Middle Country residents, homeschooling families and educators by providing access to the Educational Resource collection featuring science equipment and kits, math manipulatives, curricula and educational games, online resources including subscription databases and ERC specific programming. The ERC collection and programming is funded with support from the Long Island Community Foundation. Education Resource Center cards are available to out-of-district homeschooling families. For more information, please contact Deborah Hempe at (631) 585-9393 ext. 223 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Curbside Pickup for ERC Cardholders
The library is now open to the public and items from all collections are circulating. If you would like to come to the library to browse and check out items we have in the ERC collection in person you may, but please note that our play area, Nature Explorium and Museum Corner are not currently open and seating in the library is limited.
We are still offering curbside pick-up but those items must be requested ahead of time. ERC cardholders may not place holds using our online system, however, if there is an item(s) you would like to pick up via curbside you may call the Youth Services Desk at 631-585-9393 ext. 559. We will pull the item, if available, and schedule the curbside pickup.
ERC items and other “kit” items must be returned to MCPL, they cannot be returned at another library.
- Middle Country Public Library offers a wide variety of online databases providing learning experiences for all ages on a wide variety of topics which can be accessed with your Middle Country Public Library card or ERC card.
- • MCPL cardholders click here for all a list of all Kids Databases and Online Resources for teens.
- • ERC cardholders click here for a list of all ERC Databases.
- Did you know the United States has more than 250,000 rivers! Access interesting facts, information and even recipes from 182 countries around the world! There are three editions: World, Kids, & States.
- National Geographic Kids
- Reputable, authoritative, and age-appropriate content that brings kids the world in a way they’ve never seen it before. Fun and substantive, National Geographic Kids will take them on amazing adventures in science, nature, culture, archaeology, and space.
- Science Reference Center
- A comprehensive research database that provides easy access to a multitude of full text science-oriented content. This database contains full text for nearly 640 science encyclopedias, reference books, periodicals, etc. Topics covered include: biology, chemistry, earth & space science, environmental science, health & medicine, history of science, life science, physics, science & society, science as inquiry, scientists, technology and wildlife.
- National Home Education Research Institute
- New York State Homeschooling Regulations
- Learn and keep up to date on New York State regulations.
- NYSED Home Instruction Laws and Regulations
- Key laws and requirements related to homeschooling.
- New York State Home Instruction Questions and Answers
- FAQs covering home instruction, individualized plans, evaluations, suggested strategies, and more.
- Cathy Duffy Homeschool Reviews
- This site features articles and reviews of books related to homeschooling, education and related political and spiritual issues.
- Homeschool Diner
- A fun and informative site about homeschooling with articles & how-tos.
- The Homeschool Mom
- This portal of free resources available online includes information about many topics including ordering free curriculum, online unit plans, lesson plans, and worksheets, as well as information on supplementing or creating a homeschool curriculum.
- The Well-Trained Mind
- This site offers a step-by-step, grade-by-grade, subject-by-subject guide to the classical pattern of education called the trivium.
- The Secular Homeschool Community
- Provides information, resources, and a place to share and connect with secular homeschoolers across the world.
- Consumer Affairs: Online Homeschools Guide
- Searching for an online homeschool curriculum? Compare the best companies using consumer reviews and our comprehensive buyers guide.