Library Services for Homeschoolers
The Educational Resource Center (ERC) at Middle Country Public Library offers support and enrichment for Middle Country residents, homeschooling families and educators by providing access to the Educational Resource collection featuring science equipment and kits, math manipulatives, curricula and educational games, online resources including subscription databases and ERC specific programming. The ERC collection and programming is funded with support from the Long Island Community Foundation. Education Resource Center cards are available to out of district homeschooling families. For more information, please contact Deborah Hempe at (631) 585-9393 ext. 223 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming ERC Programs
These programs are open for registration to all Middle Country Public Library and Education Resource Center card holders. ERC programs are sponsored by the Long Island Community Foundation.
- Homeschooling 101 (J894)
- For parents. Experienced homeschooling parents will present information and answer questions about homeschooling. Speakers will cover paperwork, high school, special needs and more! Children ages 4 and up are welcome to attend with parents. Children will be in a separate room listening to stories and participating in activities.
- Backyard Bee Habitats (J906)
- For children entering 3rd – 5th grade. Help save the bees! Build a buzz-worthy habitat to hang in your backyard.
- Google Expedition: Space (J898)
- For families with children ages 7 – 11 years old. Join us for an immersive, guided journey of space using Google Expeditions and a VR headset.
- Family Game Time (J901)
- For families with children ages 5 – 17 years old. Enjoy quality family time playing games together at the library. We’ll have our giant versions of Jenga and Monopoly as well as other favorites and games from the ERC collection.
- Middle Country Public Library offers a wide variety of online databases providing learning experiences for all ages on a wide variety of topics which can be accessed with your Middle Country Public Library card or ERC card.
- • MCPL cardholders click here for all a list of all Kids Databases and Online Resources for teens.
- • ERC cardholders click here for a list of all ERC Databases.
- Scholastic BookFlix is an online literacy resource that pairs classic video storybooks from Weston Woods with related nonfiction eBooks from Scholastic to build a love of reading and learning. This engaging resource will help early readers develop and practice essential reading skills.
- BrainPOP and BrainPOP Jr.
- BrainPOP provides engaging short-animated movies for students, together with quizzes and related materials, covering the subjects of science, social studies, English, mathematics, engineering and technology, health, and arts and music. BrainPOP is for students in upper elementary through middle school, while BrainPOP Jr. is geared toward students in K-3rd grade. This resource is available for use in the library. Please see the librarian at the Youth Services desk to access this resource.
- Features expert video instruction, available anytime and anywhere, day or night, at home or on the road. Because ePrep courses are student-adaptable, having ePrep is like having a private tutor every step of the way. ePrep students maximize their scores by practicing under test-simulated conditions. Expert instructors then answer questions and solve problems in the same pencil-paper environment that students will experience on test day. By engaging both the student’s eyes and ears while demonstrating how to solve test problems in real time, ePrep magnifies understanding and retention. All ePrep videos can be paused, rewound, and reviewed again and again as needed. New users must create an account with ePrep prior to first time use.